Eternity

WHY STUDY??? THE MORE I STUDY, THE MORE I KNOW. THE MORE I KNOW, THE MORE I FORGET. THE MORE I FORGET, THE LESS I KNOW. SO WHY STUDY?

Saturday, January 28, 2006

S'pore Scientists helps find tiniest fish

The newpaper, Thurs Jan 26, 2006

A Singapore fish expert has discovered the world's tinniest fish, which is also the tinniest creature on earth to possess a backbone. The matured female of this species can be as small as 7.9mm, which makes some fully grown adults of this carp species about as big as a large mosquito. This species of fish, called Paedocypris progenetica, can live for one to two years and are found in some areas of Sumatra and Sarawak, in the cool, deep waters of flowing forest streams. Being so tiny, females produce only one ripe egg at a time, which is equivalent of a human with an egg the size of a rock melon.

This article is really interesting. I find the discovery of such a fine, tiny creature so amazing. Also, the fact that a fellow singaporean, a singapore scientist, helped to find the fish shows that singaporeans are capable of accomplishing great things and that makes me feel happy and proud for my country.
On reading this article, i learnt many new and interesting things that i never would have known about had i not read this article, and so i am glad i did. The unique traits and characteristics of the Paedocypris prognetica really intrigues me. I was really surprised to read that this fish which has a transparent body, also has missing portions of skull which leave the brain exposed, that is something really shocking and new to me, it makes me find the fish really unique and drawn to it as i want to find out more about what other highly interesting and unusual traits the fish has.
In this age and time, where technolgy is so advanced and over millions of species have already been found, knowing that there are new species still being discovered makes me marvel at how wonderful nature can be. Who knows how many undiscovered magnificent creatures lie out there in our midst, waiting to be discovered, and the impact it would have on our ecosystem.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dark Shadow said...

No need to summarise so lengthily....

Your grade is 'B+'

GCM

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home